Disaster Recovery Technology Deployment
and Back-Office Operations
including Maintenance Procedures
Credit Suisse First Boston Corporation
Deployment of Over 1000 systems supporting the complete Rest-of-Bank (ROB) environment including Back-Office Operations. Team Leader of 2 NT Engineers; 1 Scripter, 1 Junior Project Management; 2 Documentation Specialists as well as project manager of the deployment of all Database, UNIX, Mainframe, Tandem, VAX and AS400 back-office systems along with these area discipline-managers and their teams.
- Worked with Business Continuity Analysts in receipt of Business System requirements. Created overall-project with the following phases: Information Gathering; Provisioning, Deployment, Testing, Documentation and Transitioning.
- 166 NT Systems (including Application, Web, Database, Infrastructure) resident on 90 servers.
- 38 Stand-Alone systems resident on 66 workstations with related communications infrastructure.
- 250 UNIX Systems (including Application, Web, Database, Infrastructure) resident on 69 servers consolidated through migration to the Storage Area Network.
- 1 Network Area Storage device, decommissioning, 55 file/print servers.
- Mainframe Mirroring.
- AS400 Mirroring.
- VAX Disaster Recovery.
- Creation or amendment of/to 1200 scripted applications (visual basic; power-builder).
- Documentation: Create standard for Information Gathering Guide, a basics to the technical profile and technical invocation procedures; Schematics presenting the system in Production, Loss of Primary Production Site and Loss of Secondary Production Site; Hardware handover procedures (see below); white papers (see below); facilitated Development Community and Disaster Recovery Documentation Specialists in the completion of the Disaster Recovery Process Guides.
Site Buildout and Management: 2 Disaster Recovery Sites (1-Corporate-owned; 1-Third Party); Working with Global Engineering in defining required workstation builds and responsibility for workstation build-out, management of build levels; build-out of infrastructure services as well as application-related servers to support the sites; deployment of stand-alone systems utilized by Operations for settlement and reconciliation with external banking entities; Management of workstation, printer and fax machine inventory; creation and maintenance of department-related logoin scripts; liaising with Network Group, Global Engineering, NT Production and BAU Desktop Team in system-related, network-related and hardware-related readiness as well as problem notification, definition and resolution.
Testing: Created the preliminary Disaster Recovery System and Infrastructure Testing Process in line with the Director of Testing’s Global Testing Standard and Guidelines. Facilitated the first year of testing of Back-Office Systems from Installation Verification Procedure; Technical Testing and Application Functionality Testing.
Transition of Disaster Recovery Project Management Deployment, Server Maintenance; Disaster Recovery Responsibilities and Documentation to various Business as Usual Teams: Transition of NT servers to NT Production; Transition of Documentation to Development and Server Infrastructure Communities; Transition of Stand-Alone (External Reconciliation and Settlement) systems.
Sybase Consolidation: Created system review process to support Global Server Infrastructure, Database and Development Communities efforts in further consolidation of the Disaster Recovery environment through consolidation of Sybase-related applications and databases.
Process Engineering: Disaster Recovery Testing Process and Preparatory Checklist and Meeting Format; Transition Process of NT Equipment from DR IT to BAU NT Production; SAN Provisioning Process; Transition of Project Management from DR IT Team to Infrastructure-Related Project Management; Transition of Site Workstation/Software management to Business As Usual Desktop Management Group; Change Management process for Development in line with existing Change Management processes to ensure changes to Disaster Recovery-related Invocation, Technical Documentation and changes to application and database-related servers to ensure synchronicity between Disaster Recovery and Production; Created the IT Readiness Process which trains IT of all Disciplines to invoke; evacuate; salt-and-pepper staff; prioritization at the Disaster Recovery Data Center.
White Papers: Leveraging use of Disaster Recovery Equipment as UAT and/or DEV (Single System/Single Owner Environments/Shared System/Shared Owner Environments; Development Guidelines: Development and changes required for Migration to the Storage Area Network (SAN); Development Guidelines in readiness for Sybase Consolidation.